Welcome to Lambeth’s Street Design Competition!
Be part of the green recovery – we are looking for your ideas to create a healthier, greener city
What is Lambeth’s Street Design Competition?
This competition is funded and supported by Lambeth Council. Right now we all depend on public space more than ever – to get around safely, keep businesses running and to look after our wellbeing through lockdown by spending time outdoors. This is why it is important to deliver a green recovery centred on exciting, safe and distinctive places where people want to be. We want to smash barriers into urban design by empowering you to get creative and design a healthier, greener city for generations to come.
There are 10 locations across Lambeth. A winner will be announced in each location. That’s right, there will be ten winners who each receive £750 and will have their design built!
There will also be a £500 cash prize for the Judge’s Choice and a £200 Runner Up cash prize for each location too.
The competition will be judged by people that work every day to make your neighbourhood the best place it can be. They will be looking for a community-led vision that will improve the area for both people and the planet.
For more information please read the competition guidance here.
Ferndale – Bedford House
Samir Kryeziu (u 18)
Oval – Mursell
Oval – Dorset
Freddie Heath (u18)
Oval – Claylands
Railton – Somerleyton
Streatham – Livity
Streatham – Hillside
Tulse Hill – Holmewood x Roupell
Fair-rose Tsegay (u18)
Everyone! This competition is about you and your streets. We welcome applications from creative individuals to community groups with little or no design experience. We are here to be your creative buddy to bounce ideas off and walk you through the process step by step.
We are hosting weekly virtual Q&As, informative webinars and mobile digital hubs so that you are fully supported. Events sign up
Design professionals and practices are welcome to submit their ideas. How you have engaged and worked with the community must be evidenced in your application.
The competition zones are in 10 locations across Lambeth. Please click on the links below to download the location design briefs.
Hurrah! You want to apply! We can’t wait to see and hear your ideas!
We have made the process as fun and easy as possible. To apply you will need to:
- Choose a competition location you want to design and decide if you want to work on paper or on a computer.
- Sign up online here to receive weekly top tips and competition updates.
- Download the brief, and design templates for you to unleash your imagination! You can download the location briefs below or request a paper submission pack here with a freepost envelope to return your completed application.
- Read the guidance on each location brief carefully and join our webinars to have the best chance of winning.
- Use the templates in the location briefs to sketch or create your design.
- Create a short video or voice note – no more than 5 minutes – to showcase your ideas or write a letter – no more than two sides of A4 – to explain your ideas and thought process.
- Submit your images and video or letter by 9am Monday 19th April using the following email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Any large files can be sent for free via WeTransfer
- Winners will be announced by 7th May 2021!
The competition is an amazing opportunity for local people to lead on how their streets are designed and created. Urban design is a great profession to work in and you can use this competition to develop your skills and see if you enjoy it. Winning designs will not only receive a £750 cash prize, but will also be built.
Do you want your area to look and feel nicer? Do you want to bring your community together to create something positive after such a challenging year? Do you believe that the city can be a healthier, greener place for all? If the answer is yes to any of these questions, then you are exactly who we are looking for – apply!
Mobile Digital Hubs
- Oval Competition Zone Digital Hub: Saturday 27th March 1.00pm – 6pm. Join
- Railton Competition Zone Digital Hub: Wednesday 31st March 1.00pm – 6.00pm. Join
- Ferndale Competition Zone Digital Hub: Saturday 3rd April 1.00pm – 6pm. Join
- Tulse Hill Competition Zone Digital Hub: 7th April 1.00pm – 6pm. Join
- Streatham Hill Competition Zone Digital Hub: 10th April 1.00pm – 6pm. Join