We are looking for someone to join our growing team as we make London a greener city. Please read on below for all details.
Job Title: Business Manager
A flexible part-time role initially, leading to full-time with significant leadership responsibilities, for someone who is passionate about making London a greener city.
Urban Growth is a social enterprise which aims to improve the wellbeing of Londoners by creating and maintaining communal gardens. We collaborate with councils, businesses, developers & community groups across London (primarily south of the river), creating and maintaining communal gardens where people can learn about and engage with nature on their doorstep. You can read more about our aims and activities, and see examples of our work on our website, and through the linked social media channels.
Now in our 5thyear, our team of 7 staff (4 full-time) are looking for someone to take on a leadership role as we continue to grow. This person will gradually settle into a position where they guide the team, develop the brand, improve our services & increase our social impact. The role is varied and will develop over time, with the expectation of being full-time by summer 2019.
The Founder & Managing Director intends to significantly reduce his front-line role in January, in order to develop new aspects of the business abroad. The ideal candidate will at this point become the primary business manager, guiding the team of 6 and expanding the business in 2019. This is an exciting opportunity to join a passionate, diverse & collaborative team, who are keen to support a new business manager who can build on our successes to date.
In any given week you might:
- Write a costed proposal to design & install a garden in a public courtyard
- Oversee the team building a raised bed in a community garden
- Deal with client complaints about maintenance on a site
- Assess projects budgets & implement new schedules based on the data
- Collate monitoring data about the impact of our activities for funders
- Host 1:1 performance reviews with each team member
Who we are looking for (no one of these alone is essential):
- a strong and compassionate manager of people with experience of leading teams & supporting personal development of colleagues
- a competent financial manager who can write, oversee & review budgets
- an organised & strategic thinker who can coordinate activities efficiently, with experience of improving operational systems, who will streamline how we work
- an enabler, who helps people realise their potential & has experience of helping diverse people overcome challenges and achieve their goals
- a creative thinker and problem solver who relishes new challenges and responds calmly and effectively to unexpected events
- a keen learner, who wants to gain new skills and isn’t afraid to learn from failure
- a passionate believer in the power of the natural world to improve human wellbeing, with experience of community gardening
- a collaborative leader who inspires confidence in colleagues and clients, and is comfortable with public speaking
- a lover of plants and wildlife, committed to protecting the environment
- an ambitious self-starter who thrives on a diverse portfolio & enjoys working irregular hours
- a clear & concise communicator, who can express ideas & pass on knowledge effectively to a range of people
- a confident user of digital technology, able to manage emails, social media, Google Drive and phone-based apps
- a resident of south London with a driver’s license (our activities are primarily in Lambeth & Southwark)
Key features of what you will do:
- Collaborate with the team to ensure our existing maintenance contracts are delivered efficiently and to the highest possible standard
- Identify and meet potential new clients, follow up leads and collaborate with the team to write winning & profitable proposals
- Support the team to organise and deliver new projects efficiently and to the highest possible standard
- Identify areas for improvement in our operations, co-develop strategies to raise standards with the team, & support them to improve
- Understand the business as a whole, identify & secure opportunities for growth
- Represent & advocate on behalf of the business in person and through digital content (emails, website and social media)
- Participate in gardening activities with the team throughout the year
The role is part time (2/5) in the first instance, with the capacity to go full time by June 2019. You will be paid £25,000 pro rata, with a salary & job role review in January 2019. There is a 4-week probationary period, & we can be flexible about working hours in the initial stages of the employment.
Development of the role
We do not expect someone to jump immediately into a leadership role. We will support you to settle into a position of responsibility over 3 months as the on-site workload decreases into winter. Throughout this process, you will work closely with the Managing Director & an external coach, to understand the company and your growing portfolio of responsibilities. The existing Operations Manager will continue to coordinate much of the logistics, but will transfer some of those duties to you in order to spend more time on sites herself. You will visit all our sites, meet new and existing clients, shadowing the MD and other staff throughout.
In January 2019, when the role starts in earnest and the MD steps back from operations fully, your hours, salary & job description will be renegotiated. It is expected that you will be in a full-time leadership role by June 2019, with commensurate salary.
Please submit a CV with covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, explaining your suitability for the role, before noon on Thursday, August 16th. We welcome questions about the role in advance of this, directed to the same email.
Shortlisted candidates will be notified by email before 1700 on Friday, August 31st. Interviews will take place in the following week. Please notify us in your application of your likely availability between September 3-7th.
You can also download the Recruitment pack.